REALTOR® ACTION POLITICAL COMMITTEE
- The National Association of REALTORS® is the leading advocate for housing issues.
- NAR’s REALTOR® Political Action Committee (RPAC) is a grassroots-based
organization that backs congressional candidates who have strong
records of supporting homeownership and private property rights.
NAR members participate in the political process to ensure that the
Realtor® point-of-view on homeownership and private property rights is
heard at all levels of government.
- RPAC supports
candidates of any party who understand and champion real estate issues.
It is the most bipartisan PAC in the country. Political expenditures are
divided nearly evenly among Republicans and Democrats based on their
positions and voting records on real estate issues.
Realtors® provide feedback to help RPAC determine whether or not to
support a candidate running for state or local office. NAR encourages
REALTORS® to get involved in their local and state associations and to
be involved in RPAC’s decision-making process.
- NAR does not back political parties or movements within those parties, and does not get involved in presidential politics.
- NAR encourages REALTORS® to invest in their industry’s future through
RPAC; one in four REALTORS® contributed to RPAC last year.
- RPAC’s record of success demonstrates that REALTORS® are among the
most politically active and engaged citizens in the country.
- In 2010, NAR created an independent expenditure-only committee, the
National Association of REALTORS® Congressional Fund, in response to the
ruling by the Supreme Court in the case of Citizens United vs. the Federal Election Commission.
That case ruled that corporate dollars – so-called soft dollars – can
be used to fund independent expenditure campaigns. The Congressional
fund helps supplement RPAC funding of federal independent expenditures.
- The Congressional Fund allows a tax-efficient use of NAR member dues
to complement the association’s RPAC-funded electoral efforts, which are
used for direct contributions to candidates.
- It is not NAR’s policy to disclose to media the amount of
expenditures; however, all contributions are reported when made, as is
required by law.
- REALTOR ACTION CENTER
It is critical for REALTORS® to speak with one voice about the stability that the real estate market brings to our communities. From city hall to the state house to the U.S. Capitol, elected officials make decisions that have an impact on the bottom line of REALTORS® and their customers. The REALTOR® Action Center is where you learn how Voting, Acting and Investing in RPAC builds our political strength at every level of government.
- YOUR BEST INVESTMENT IN REAL ESTATE
The Citizens United Supreme Court Ruling in 2010 changed the face of campaign finance and political fundraising. The NAR Leadership Team outlines game-changing recommendations on RPAC Fundraising Goal Policies to keep the REALTOR® voice strong in this new, competitive arena.
- NAR's INFLUENCE AND LOBBYING
The Center for Responsive Politics is the nation's premier research group tracking money in U.S. politics and its effect on elections and public policy. Nonpartisan, independent and nonprofit, the organization aims to create a more educated voter, an involved citizenry and a more transparent and responsive government.